How to Choose the Right Real Estate Agent
Whether you are buying or selling a home, you want to feel assured that you have the right real estate agent working for you. This is a big decision, and you want someone that knows what they are doing, is pleasant and respectful - but has tenacity, and will work hard to protect your interests.
Sounds like these are big shoes to fill, but you simply need to do a little research into the qualifications and reputation of the real estate agent you are considering.
Here are 9 must-dos when choosing a real estate agent:
- Meet with your potential agent and discuss your needs and options. Trust your gut feeling on how this person makes you feel. Do you get a good feeling? Can you be open and honest with this person?
- Get recommendations from friends and relatives.
- See which agents are buying and selling the most homes in your neighborhood or community. Look at how fast their listings are selling, and read client reviews.
- Look for an agency that has good leadership in each office and offers ongoing training and support for their agents. The agency that your real estate agent belongs to should give them access to education and peer support that improves their abilities on a continuous basis. You are essentially searching for the ultimate “team,” not just a great real estate agent.
- Look at their certifications. If you are looking for vacation property, make certain your agent has training and experience with the intricacies of buying and selling vacation property.
- Look at their communication skills and availability. If they get back to you quickly when you call and communicate details effectively, this is a great sign. Ask how he or she will communicate with you (and in what format) during the buying/sales process.
- Ask about the number of listings and sales they have had this past year.
- Ask if this is their full-time career or a part-time job. You want an agent who dedicates their working hours to their real estate success. If you’re buying, you want an agent who can jump on new listings and show them to you immediately. If you’re the seller, you want an agent who is always available to show your home to prospective buyers.
- Find an agent with online marketing possibilities. Things to look for include whether or not they have their own website, run online ads, or have an easy-to-use search tool on their agency’s website. What is this agent doing to separate themselves from other agents? How will they market your home, or if you are a buyer, how often will you receive new listings to consider? What makes their plans stand out above the rest?
With just a little research and following your gut instinct, you can choose the right, qualified real estate agent to work with you and make your home buying or selling dreams come true.
Need to find an agent? Search our agents by location, specialty, and more on our website.
|Previous Post||Next Post|